Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Blue Lagoon

It was the moon that lent the radiant glow
To sands that stroke the purple sea,
And they sparkled like the maiden's cheek
Who, by the first kiss of love hath been set free.

The boughs afar lilted in the breeze
That murmured softly, its midnight song
As the idylls lulled bird and beast to slumber
But I, could hold out for so long...

The sands are still here,
The waves ride high
The trees are near
Yet the island heaves a sigh.

The corals are still there, I heard
The tears of the reef are yet to dry
And as the wind whistles by, don't you trust its word
For, when all is silent, you can hear it cry.

The sea took her long ago
And sometime back, snatched her footprints too, from the sands,
It took her echoes from the caves in the rocks...
It took her....right out of my hands....

And as the tears blind me slowly
And the silence makes it hard to hear
I have long given up.
Yet, to feel what my eyes cannot see...
My hands still persevere.

Written after a long hiatus
I was inspired to write after I read a love story [that too after a long time] titled "Maru", which is a very beautiful yet confusing short story

4 comments:

  1. welll...........wellllll.........guess what........I have understood the poem.. (which is a marvel)............yipeee:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you remember, but you once brought this poem written on a piece of paper (a middle page,most probably taken from someone else, because God forbid you waste your own paper).You handed the paper to me and said that you wrote this JUST before coming to my house, and that this was the only copy.By the way ,I still have that paper.I really like this poem.But now, can we write on things less abstract?Please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. guess what anaghaa...u brought it to vjti....mdh...n i read it too....nice poem, nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Deepjyoti
    I always knew that this day would come.


    @ Anaghaa
    Yes this is that poem and do you know that the last few lines were written while I was waiting for you [as usual] near the water tank [or septic tank].
    If you haven't noticed, this poem is about a girl and I believe [and pray] that girls are not abstract.

    @ Nidhi
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete